Lemon Macadamia Cookies

Can't believe I haven't posted any recipe since late July, hmmm...I guess when you're having fun (and a lazy ass too), enjoying summer holidays and spending some quality time with your loved ones time flies! 
I know I said this blog would remain 'open' during the summer holidays but I felt like I really needed a little break from social media and spending hours in front of my laptop writing recipes and editing food pictures. Instead of blogging till late at night I've been chilling at home, watching funny movies (I so needed some good laughs!), drinking fresh homemade lemonade made by my sister and eating yummy mangoes like there's no tomorrow, yep, they are my ultimate obsession.
My oven hasn't been on vacation though, in fact I have quite a lot of pending recipes to publish and I can't wait to show them all to you. 
Summer calls for fruity recipes and I love anything lemon/lime-based. These Lemon Macadamia Cookies have everything to make them the perfect summer cookies: a lively touch of fresh lemon, soft chunks of macadamia nuts and a nice lightly-cakey texture, soft in the center but firm along the edges. Plus they are healthy and guilt-free! These cookies are vegan (which means dairy-free), sugar-free and contains a good proportion of whole-wheat flour. 
Let's begin with the recipe!

Click aquí para la receta en español!


Lemon Macadamia Cookies
(makes 2 dozen cookies)

Ingredients
2/3 cup agave nectar.
2/3 cup sunflower oil.
2 tbsp nondairy milk.
1 tbsp ground flax seeds.
Grated zest of one lemon.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.
1 cup whole-wheat flour.
3/4 tsp baking soda.
A rounded 1/4 tsp fine sea salt.
1 cup roughly chopped macadamia nuts.


Directions
Preheat oven to 325ºF (163ºC). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together agave nectar, oil, nondairy milk, flax seeds and lemon zest until smooth. Sift in the all-purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda and salt and mix to form a soft dough. Fold in the macadamia chunks.
Scoop generously rounded tablespoons of dough (remember to leave enough space between cookies as they will spread a bit) onto the baking sheets. 
Bake cookies for 12 to 14 minutes, until the edges are golden. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Store in a tightly covered container.





Comments