Double Chocolate Brownies

There's no secret brownies are one of my most favorite baked dessert in the whole wide world, I think they're #1 in my top ten list of chocolaty things. As a confessed chocoholic I can't live without brownies for too long BUT for my surprise I've just realized I haven't had a single piece of brownie in almost a year! I was checking all my previous brownie recipes and the last one was the 'Very Fudgy Chocolate Chip Brownies' from last summer (on july 17th 2014, to be more precise). That means I've been really busy trying out new recipes and adding more variety to my blog but I just couldn't wait any longer! I mean, it's been over a year...am I out of my mind or what?! Brownie gods must be very angry with me right now. I know I've had my chocolate (over)dose quite often but nothing compares to the lusciouness of a rich, fudgy and moist brownie.
So this is gonna be my 5th brownie recipe (search for 'brownies' on the right and you will find the rest of recipes) and most probably won't be the last cause I love to try new recipes and compare which one is my favorite...and let me tell you one thing guys, this recipe is so so close to become 'the perfect brownie' recipe to me. These brownies have the perfect balance between cakey and fudgy and for all those who love really moist and luscious brownies I'd recommend to under-bake them a lil' bit.
Now I'm off to enjoy a big bowl of one of my latest new recipes that will be published next week, it is the bomb.com! Keep your eyes peeled!!! 

Receta en español aquí!


Double Chocolate Brownies
(yield: 12 brownies)

Ingredients
85 g (3 ounces) soft tofu.
1/4 cup soy milk.
1/2 cup sunflower oil.
3/4 cup organic whole cane sugar.
1 cup self-raising flour.
1 tbsp potato starch.
1/2 cup pure cocoa powder.
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract.
Pinch of salt.
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped.
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips.

Notes:
- I used soft tofu for this recipe but silken tofu will work perfectly as well.
- If you are not very fond of soy milk use your favorite nondairy milk (I'd recommend almond or oat milk).
- To replace the self-raising flour: 1 cup all-purpose flour plus 1/2 teaspoon baking powder.
- If you can't find potato starch use the same amount of cornstarch.
- Optional add-in: 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of instant espresso powder. It will add a nice coffee aroma and enhance the chocolate flavor.
- I always chop my own chocolate chunks but that means you have to plan ahead and have your chocolate chips/chunks ready before really getting into the recipe.


Directions
Preheat oven to 170 ºC (325 ºF) and line a brownie pan with parchment paper; make sure there's enough paper hanging over the edges of the pan.
In a blender puree mix the tofu, milk and oil until completely pureed; you will have to stop a few times and scrape down the sides and get all the tiny tofu pieces blended in the mixture.
Transfer this mixture to a mixing bowl and add in the sugar and the vanilla extract. Whisk vigorously with a hand whisk.
Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, potato starch and salt. Mix everything together using a rubber spatula until smooth and finally fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips. Be careful not to over mix the batter at this point, just stir in the walnuts and chocolate chips with a few circular motions.
Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth out the top. 
Bake brownies for 28 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let brownies cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and let them cool completely before slicing into squares.
Store in an airtight container...if there are some leftover portions after the first day. ;-)



Comments

  1. Wow these look so gooey and delicious Ive never baked with tofu Id be curious to try it, hope your having a good weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your constant support Rebecca! It's so nice to see you're always the first person that leaves me a comment whenever I publish a new recipe. :-)

      I had a pretty laid-back weekend, though sunday was a non-stop cooking day.

      xoxo

      Delete
  2. These look amazing! I need to try these. I've never used tofu in brownies. I'm totally intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Kathleen and welcome to my blog! :-)
      I've cooked savory recipes with tofu before but I've just started experimenting with tofu in sweet recipes (like this one and my Creamy Tofu Pops).
      Hope you try this brownie recipe at home!

      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Absolutely drooling over here, especially over that last photo! Nothing gets me craving sweets quite like a brownie sundae... Even if it's only 9am! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet words Hannah! :-) Your comments always make my day.
      I couldn't agree more with you! Just looking at these pictures makes me crave for brownies once again!

      xoxo

      Delete

Post a Comment