Blueberry Oat Crumble Muffins

It took me three tries to finally get these muffins the way I wanted them: soft and fluffy inside, with a moist and tender center bursting with blueberries. It was worth the overdose of muffins during the last two weeks because they are ridiculously delicious, and that oat crumble topping with a refreshing touch of lemon zest makes them extra yummy! Blueberry and lemon are one of those heavenly combinations, don't you think?!
Waking up to these muffins plus a warm cup of oat milk makes my mornings so much better, specially now that the sun is hiding and the days are shorter; I need something sweet to lift my mood on a grey day...and this is exactly what I'm doing today, I'm gonna treat myself with some traditional marzipan cookies I made yesterday to celebrate 'La Castanyada' which is the same day as Halloween. Talking about Halloween, right after it ends I start thinking about what I'm gonna prepare for Christmas and the last two months of the year are always the busiest for me because we celebrate my sister's and my niece birthday (that means cake baking and gift shopping) and then we start with all the Christmas shopping and meal planning. Crazy and fun at the same time, but I'm trying not to stress this year and enjoy every moment. Is it too early to start thinking about the holidays?



Blueberry Oat Crumble Muffins
(Yield: 12 muffins)

Ingredients
- For the topping:
1/4 cup coconut sugar.
1/4 teaspoon cornstarch.
2 tablespoons oat flakes.
Zest of 1/2 a lemon.
1 rounded tablespoon almond flour.
1 tablespoon olive oil.

- For the muffins:
1 cup whole wheat flour.
3/4 cup whole spelt flour.
1/2 cup brown rice flour.
3 tablespoons cornstarch.
1 tablespoon baking powder.
1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt.
1/2 teaspoon baking soda.
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla powder.
1 cup oat milk.
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar.
3 tablespoon olive oil.
1 or 2 drops organic lemon essential oil.
1/3 cup mashed banana.
1/3 cup xylitol.
3/4 cup blueberries.
1/4 cup blueberries, to decorate the tops.

Directions
- To make the crumble topping:
Combine all the ingredients for the topping in a small mixing bowl with a wire whisk or fork. The mixture should look like wet sand. Set aside.
- To make the muffins:
Preheat the oven to 190 º C (375 ºF) and coat a muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl sift together the flours, baking powder, vanilla, salt, and baking soda. Stir with a wire whisk until combined.
Whisk the milk and apple cider vinegar in a separate bowl, the mixture will curdle and become like buttermilk. Whisk in the oil, lemon essential oil, mashed banana and xylitol.
Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir together just until combined and no flour is visible, do not overmix. Fold in the 3/4 cup of blueberries and fill each muffin cup 2/3 full.
Bake for 23 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out almost clean (a few tiny moist crumbs are okay).
Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Store the muffins in an airtight container at room temperature.


Notes:
- Xylitol: you can use coconut palm sugar instead of xylitol. I haven't tried with whole can sugar but I'm pretty sure you'll get really nice results with it. 
- Use your favorite non-dairy milk. However I recommend almond or oat milk.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil, which is healthier than sunflower/other oils and less processed. Look for the ones that have a mild taste, like the Arbequina olive variety. This type of olive have a great fruity aroma, perfect for your baked goods.
- Blueberries: if you can't find fresh blueberries at your local stores or farmer's market you can also use frozen blueberries.




Comments