Banana Almond Smoothie

Hey everybody I'm back! Maybe you thought that I partied way too hard on New Year's Eve and I'm still recovering or that I decided to retire to some tropical paradise...but the truth is that I've been a lazy blogger and a multi-tasking housewife at the same time. Let me explain myself: the first week after xmas I decided to go back to my workout routine, and even push myself a little bit harder because even though I didn't stop exercising during the holidays I didn't take it as seriously as I use to. Also I needed to take a break from blogging, relax and find some inspiration for this year's recipes. The second week was all about decluttering my closet once and for all, that was the perfect excuse to go sale shopping with my sister and end up with some new sweaters, a grey super soft scarf, a couple of necklaces and way too many lipsticks (I'm an addict and can't help it). Then I did a lot more cleaning because apart from my lipstick addiction I'm also a clean freak (and I can be an utter pain in the ass for those around me).
Well, the rest of the days was all about simply doing those things I haven't done in a while and I really love/help myself relax like doing my nails, catch up on my favorite tv shows and spend more time with my favorite person in the whole wide world which is my sister.
I'm sorry I haven't been active since late december but I promise I've been thinking about my favorite food bloggers and all your latest recipes are in my mail inbox, so as soon as I'm done writing this post I'm going to pay a visit to each one of them.
Enough blabbing about me, let's talk about this super healthy smoothie packed with lots of nutritious ingredients. It's creamy and spiced, a great quick breakfast and also perfect to help you get thru the day or as an afternoon snack. Personally I love it to recover after a workout because it has banana, quinoa (a powerhouse of nutrients and plant protein), almonds (healthy fats, shiny hair, good nails!) and also I like to sprinkle whatever seed and/or nut leftovers on top. For an extra kick of energy and deliciousness add 2 tablespoons of raw cacao powder (pure cocoa powder works well too) and you'll have a super nice chocolate smoothie.
Hope you are all having a great and healthy beginning of the year! I'm planning on doing more and more clean recipes, my body is need of a good detox and I'm thinking about maybe introducing some simple, easy plant-based savory recipes in the near future. What do you think?



Banana Almond Smoothie
(Yields 1 large smoothie)

Ingredients
1 cup rice-coconut milk.
1/2 ripe banana.
2 generous tablespoons unsweetened natural vegan yogurt.
2 tablespoons organic quinoa powder (instant quinoa).
2 tablespoons raw almonds.
1 tablespoon raw pumpkin seeds.
1 teaspoon chia seeds.
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger.
1 or 2 tablespoons agave syrup (or maple syrup), optional.
- For the chocolate flavor:
2 tablespoons raw cacao powder (or pure cocoa powder).
- For sprinkling:
Sunflower, chia and sesame seeds.
Oat flakes.
Puffed quinoa.


Directions
Blend the milk, yogurt and chopped banana in a high speed blender until the banana is completely incorporated. 
Add in the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth. Stop and taste the level of sweetness, for a more sweet smoothie add a bit of agave syrup or maple syrup.
Serve immediately in a tall glass and decorate with the seeds, oat flakes and a few puffed quinoa balls.
To make the chocolate flavor simply add two tablespoons of cacao powder with the rest of the ingredients.



Notes:
- You can use your favorite veggie milk. I've tried this recipe also with oat milk and it tastes as delicious.
- If you don't have or can't find organic instant quinoa use any other plant-based protein powder like pea or maca powder. I don't recommend, though, using powders like kale, wheatgrass or spirulina cause they'll mask the sweet and spiced flavor of this smoothie.
- Adjust the sweetness to your taste, it'll also depend on how ripe your banana is. Organic coconut syrup or a few drops of liquid stevia are also good alternatives to sweeten things up.




Comments

  1. Glad to have you back! Definitely a good idea to take some time off, pamper yourself and recharge. This looks like a killer recipe to start the year off with! This is my kind of smoothie. Will definitely be making this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! It's good to have some time off but I missed blogging quite a lot! :-)

      Delete
  2. Happy 2017 Gemma lets hope its a good one. This smoothie looks amazing. Looking forward to seeing more clean recipes from you. Your blog is always good to come to for when I want something tasty but not too bad for you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rebecca! Wishing you a fabulous 2017 too! :-)

      xo

      Delete

Post a Comment