Adzuki Brownies

I wanted to share this new post with you several days ago but (as it's happening way too often lately) I've been extremely busy doing four recipes for a client (some of them will appear on the blog too) and also I spent a whole week celebrating my birthday. Not that I threw a big party and I need to recover or that I went to a remote island with my friends like some celebrities do; but I celebrated it with small things that make me happy each day: a brunch with my sister + some shopping, cake time with the family, watching movies every night (something I can't do on normal weekdays), etc. You know, pampering myself a little bit because I'm always putting myself in last place...will I ever learn?!
So let's talk about these brownies: I've tasted adzuki brownies before but never tried them at home until I realized I had too many packets of adzuki beans so it was mandatory to do some recipe testing. Those who are familiar to vegan and healthy baking must heard about these type of brownies before. Adzuki beans are a great secret ingredient (not so secret now) to make brownies more dense and gooey, and add an extra nutritional boost cause they have a good dose of plant-based protein. So now you can have your brownie and eat it too!
I wanted to cover them with some tahini-caramel frosting but ran out of ingredients...so maybe it's a good excuse to repeat this recipe and share a fancied-up version in the near future.
Please note, it's super important that you wait until the brownies are completely cold before cutting, even better if you let them harden a little bit in the fridge. I was running late and you know that I always shoot in natural light so I had to cut them when they were still warm.
They taste seriously good and no one would ever notice any weird taste, trust me, I'm a professional brownie eater and have published quite a lot of brownie recipes here on Cinnamon Girl.
Next step: make the fudgiest gluten-free vegan brownies. Stay tuned!

PS: are you guys already thinking about Halloween recipes?




Adzuki Brownies
(yield: 16 portions)

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups cooked adzuki beans.
2 tablespoons coconut sugar.
200 g (7 ounces) dark chocolate, 70 % cocoa min.
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, arbequina variety.
1/3 cup pure maple syrup.
Generous 3/4 cup (80 g) almond flour.
3/4 cup (95 g) organic all-purpose flour.
3 tablespoons carob powder.
1 tablespoon lucuma powder.
1 tablespoon baking powder.
Pinch of salt.
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla powder.


Notes:
- You can replace the coconut sugar with panela (unrefined whole cane sugar).
- If you can't find carob powder use pure cocoa powder instead. Do the same to replace the lucuma powder (a total of 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder).


Directions
Put the adzuki beans and the coconut sugar in your food processor and process until pureed and soft.
Melt the chocolate following the double boiler method and set aside to cool a lil bit.
Preheat the oven to 180 ºC (356 ºF) and lightly grease a square pan with nonstick cooking spray, also line the bottom with parchment paper. My brownie pan is 20x20 cm.
Pour the melted chocolate, olive oil, and maple syrup over the adzuki mixture and process until completely soft and combined.
In a medium mixing bowl sift together the flours, carob powder, lucuma, baking powder, salt, and vanilla, stirring with a wire whisk until combined.
Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix with a silicone spatula until a thick, glossy batter forms. 
Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan and bake for 15-17 minutes, do not overbake brownies cause they won't be moist and fudgy on the inside. Keep in mind that they'll rest in the pan so the cooking process will continue.
Remove from the oven and let the brownies cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then unmold and cool completely before cutting into 16 equal portions/squares.
Sprinkle a bit of carob powder on top of the brownies, the sweet taste of carob makes a great contrast with the intense bittersweet chocolate.
Store the brownies in an airtight container at room temperature and if you want to keep them fresh and fudgy for longer they keep really well in the fridge.







Comments