Gluten-Free Tahini Orange Cookies

I posted a quick video on my Instagram stories last weekend to give you a glimpse of what I was preparing for my next blog post. Well, the cookies are finally here!...and oh man these are hands down one of the best cookies I've ever baked and I'm sorry if you've heard this from me before but I had to say it; they deserve to be on my top 5 cookie list. These tahini orange cookies are yummy, ridiculously easy to make, completely plant-based and so spiced and irresistible. Also, let me have a little 'damn, I'm proud of myself' moment cause I managed to make them gluten-free and they are not the typichal super crumbly gf cookie. They hold together pretty well and doesn't spread like crazy so you can easily choose if you want them more on the cakey side or crispier and thinner just by pressing down the dough a bit more. The ones you see in the pictures were delicately crispy on the edges and cakey on the inside.
This is the perfect recipe to prepare when it's rainy and you don't wanna go outside and prefer to stay all cozy at home wearing your favorite pair of fluffy socks. Nothing is better than the smell of freshly baked cookies and while these are still in the oven you'll notice that your home is filled with a lovely orange, ginger and cinnamon aroma. Diptyque's candles are too expensive, I know they make your living room look 'très chic' and do smell great but forget about them! Bake cookies instead and your belly will thank me later. ;-)
Now I'm off to continue with my Halloween recipe mission and check if my sister bought the right food coloring (she's the best assistant Cinnamon Girl could ever have, btw). Can you guess which color I'm looking for? ;-)

Gluten-Free Tahini Orange Cookies
(yield: 12 cookies)

Ingredients
1/3 cup smooth tahini paste.
1/4 cup coconut sugar or panela (unrefined whole cane sugar).
2 tablespoons extra virgin arbequina olive oil.
1 tablespoon maple or agave syrup.
Zest of one orange.
2 drops organic orange essential oil.
1/2 cup rice flour.
1/4 cup oat flour.
2 tablespoons cornstarch.
1 teaspoon baking powder.
1/2 teaspoon baking soda.
Pinch of salt.
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger.
1/4 cup oat milk or almond milk.
- To decorate:
Raw white sesame seeds and black sesame seeds.




Directions
Preheat oven to 180 ºC (350 ºF) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl combine the tahini, coconut sugar, oil, maple syrup, orange zest and essential oil. Stir together with a wooden spoon until well combined.
In a large mixing bowl whisk the flours, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Use a hand whisk to aerate the dry ingredients.
Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture and mix using a wooden spoon again or a sturdy silicone spatula. Gradually add in the oat milk until you get a soft dough that holds together well.
Scoop the dough into a generous tablespoon and roll the dough with your hands to create perfectly round balls. Distribute onto the baking sheet and slightly press down the dough with the back of a spoon or the palm of your hands to flatten a little bit.
Sprinkle with the sesame seeds tapping with your hands so the seeds adhere to the dough.
Bake for 15 minutes until edges are golden brown. If you want to make them crispier bake for 2 more minutes.
Let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack later.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature.









Comments